Social life

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Kimctv
not a newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 6:29 pm
Age: 16
My pronouns: she/her
Location: Canada

Social life

Unread post by Kimctv »

How come everyone around me gets so much attention like they will get so many likes and compliments irl and on social media and have deep connections with their friends and get romantic attention but I dont get any of that sure I have friends but the group never hangs out outside of school they are either uninterested or we live too far apart. Very few of them seem to care about anything i do when i would for them. Anyone ive met either sees me as an acquaintance or a friend and as nothing more except for those random people in middle school who would bully me for nothing. My social skills are bad I dont have siblings or cousins. I feel like im invisible to everyone else besides my parents.

It wasn't this way as a kid and I got alot of attention and would be at my friend's house like it was my second home and we would call all the time I feel like im doing something wrong and missing out on the teenage experience like im wasting my youth and nothing is happening :( I know this sounds pathetic but I put the thought of romantic relationships on such a high pedestal like the peak human experience that is unachiveable kinda like trying to get a 100 on a test on a subject im not good at while everyone else seems to get it and i cant get out of that mindset.

I'm probably going to become 17 and 18 and be in the same school and its gonna stay the same but as I get older the pressures gonna get worse I dont know what to do and I have a bad feeling about this but im also scared of abusive relationships I know that makes no sense cause I sound so desperate but idk everything is so conflicting and men dont have to worry about walking alone at night and gender based oppression while I have to and they get to date women too im so jealous of them :? I also am really skeptical of them too because every man in my life who isnt my dad (like dudes my age) have been misogynistic and treated me as less than because they dont find me attractive it makes me sad to know that these types of people are the majority of my dating pool in the future :| men are truly so lucky to not have to deal with that

Sorry this was so long omg :geek: :ugeek:
Last edited by KierC on Tue Oct 06, 2026 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added line breaks for accessibility
char
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2025 3:08 am
Age: 26
My Awesomeness Quotient: i have chromesthesia!
My primary language: english
My pronouns: they/them/theirs or xe/xem/xyrs
My sexual identity and orientation: aromantic queer/bisexual
Location: southeast asia (SEA)

Re: Social life

Unread post by char »

Hey again Kimctv. I'm sorry that you've been feeling crappy because of this. I can definitely relate to what you're describing here; I can share a bit of my experience just so you know you're not the only one who have felt this way.

When I was your age (about 10 years ago), I also felt like I have no one interested in me--not necessarily from a romantic standpoint, though that was in my mind for a while, but mostly in terms of friends. I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb for being socially awkward, which I know is due to my autism as well as living in a relatively unpleasant household. I remember how some folks in my high school would talk behind my back for being "childish"; and by "childish" I mean using a strap to carry my water bottle to school. (I didn't--and I still don't--think it was childish, but here we are.) Interacting with most of my schoolmates also felt like walking on eggshells, because I'd have no idea how they would think of me when I'm not around. I'm not entirely sure how things are going with the people your age at your high school, but at least where I live, high school student "categories" were more apparent.

Once I got accepted to university, I decided to change things around. One of it is by changing the name I go by. I didn't come up with a completely new name; I just went with a different part of the name I was given. I also changed the way I presented myself. Even though there were people from my high school who went to the same university as I did, I began feeling more confident and approached people (especially those I haven't met) with no fear of being judged. My university life isn't exactly all sunshine and rainbows, but through the harshest parts of it I was able to recognize that the right people will stick with us. Some people disliked me--some even outright harmed me--but there were more people who appreciated me for being who I am and supported me through my toughest moments. Maybe the amount of people we keep in our network is different from one person to another. But it's less about how many folks you can befriend in your lifespan and more about how well they treat you (and the opposite). Quality thrives over quantity, really.

I'm not saying you need to completely revamp yourself. In fact, as much as I'm no longer the person I was back in high school and university, there are parts of me that remain the same in the last ten years. But I'd like to let you know that this particular part of your life can definitely become better. ;;
Never be scared of trying to reach once more the dreams you'd briefly forgotten. / Listen to the voice of your heart.
Kimctv
not a newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 6:29 pm
Age: 16
My pronouns: she/her
Location: Canada

Re: Social life

Unread post by Kimctv »

Thanks for sharing your experience :) yeah idk what il do as an adult tbh
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm
Age: 29
My Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
My primary language: English
My pronouns: She/they
My sexual identity and orientation: Queer
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Social life

Unread post by KierC »

Hey kimctv,

I hope it’s ok I’m popping in to add some thoughts. <3

Feeling lonely or like very few people care about you is really painful, and my heart hurts knowing you’re feeling this way. As Char shared, you’re not alone in this experience. I was also a teenager who struggled immensely with feeling alone, like I had very few friends, and just feeling really low about the future as someone who isn’t a straight man. I’m not going to say these feelings go away — even though I’d say in general I have people and feel good about my social life these days, I do still feel that familiar lonely feeling sometimes. What I can say, though, is that your perspective on this can change, the weight with which you hold this feeling can change, and the way you respond to it can change. With some work, reflection, and some reaching out to people, the deepness and intensity of this feeling really does lighten up.

It sounds like you have three main concerns here: friendship/social life, romantic relationships, and identity

1. It sounds like it might be a bit more difficult to see your friends as much as you’d like these days, is that right? Can you tell me a bit about what you’ve been doing to try and see them? If not, want to talk about ways you might be able to reach out more?

It can feel a bit ridiculous or even painful to be the one reaching out when you’re feeling lonely, I totally get that. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned that has actually consistently helped me when I feel really lonely, it’s been me putting in consistent effort to reach out to people even when it’s hard. When you first start doing this, it can feel like “jeez, it’s *always me reaching out*”, but over time it’s actually caused people to reciprocate and reach out to me more. Know what I mean?

2. Romantic relationships… they are great and amazing! They do look very nice on a pedestal, but oh goodness do we NOT want to put them up there and tether our self-worth to them. I think really with anything (relationships, job success, social life, etc.), when we start to put that thing on a pedestal to the extent that we tether a large part of our happiness and self-worth to it, we generally always set ourselves up for some hurt. All these things (relationships, job, social life, etc.) tend to come and go. There may be phases in life when your job is going great but your romantic life is less great, or your social life is great but your job isn’t great… but what can remain consistent is how you weather these changes. I think that’s where the most consistent forms of happiness and self-esteem come from, in part. What do you think about that?

3. I can empathize with your fear of abusive relationships. I think you really wanting a relationship doesn’t mean it’s ridiculous to fear abuse. What you want is love and respect, so it makes total sense to me that you’re worried about being hurt or abused. It really does suck to be scared of this, and of walking alone at night. It can be overwhelming and frankly just pretty awful. But I promise you, there are ways to live where you can have agency over what you do, both in walking at night and in your life in general (with everything we’ve talked about here).

I walk at night because I’ve had enough of feeling like I can’t (like you), and I do it with all the safety techniques. In life, I do the work to know how to be safe, how to identify abuse and protect myself, and how to keep a group of friends around me who I see routinely. It’s work that feels daunting at times, and a lot of it is work I feel like nobody should have to do (like worry about abuse or assault). But it is SO worth it to take care of yourself in this way, I promise. To reply to your thought in your second reply here, I think that’s what you do as an adult … you do the work to make life what you want, even when it really sucks and shouldn’t have to be this way. You won’t be alone for it either, we’re here to help. <3
Kimctv
not a newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2026 6:29 pm
Age: 16
My pronouns: she/her
Location: Canada

Re: Social life

Unread post by Kimctv »

Aw thank you for your input 🥹

1. I see what you mean usually when I text them that I wanna see them they are busy with something, or they dont wanna or they live too far from me. They dont reach out so it makes me wanna reach out less heh

2. I understand. I dont usually think about dating unless I see other people's relationships and i know there is nothing i can really do now i guess tho my social life is relatively fine for what it is. Is there any ways to not be bothered by these kinds of things? Cause my immideate thought is jealousy and I dont know how to stop that

3. Yes I would much prefer to be able to identify signs and learn how to handle them than to brush it off and pretend like it doesnt exist it is sad that us women have to live in such a reality but I agree that staying aware and learning how to protect yourself is definitely worth it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post