Brown discharge and Birth Control Pill

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Hearth6
not a newbie

Brown discharge and Birth Control Pill

Unread post by Hearth6 »

I have been on levora for a month and a half so far, after changing from tri sprintec which I was previously on for 7 months. The discharge is only after I have intercourse and it's not a lot, but I'm just wondering if this is normal? The discharge is around the beginning-middle of my cycle. Can this be a sign of pregnancy? Also, if I felt nauseous from the pill and threw up 5 hours after, is my protection compromised? I also missed a pill on my last pack but made it up by taking two the next day. My levora pamphlet says I do not need a backup method of only one pill was missed, could this be pregnancy?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Brown discharge and Birth Control Pill

Unread post by Johanna »

Are you up to date on your reproductive healthcare? Did you have a break between stopping your old pill and starting this new one? And how long have you been having this discharge?
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Yes I am up to date. No I didn't take a break, and I had the discharge only after I started the new pill, and then I got my period. Then about a week after my period ended I saw the discharge again. I only saw it twice so far and only after sex
Last edited by Hearth6 on Wed May 20, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

Sorry yes I am up to date I just had my appointment at planned parenthood 2 months ago
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

^Bump?

This is why I posted on the other forum as well Johanna since I am not getting help..:(
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hearth,

Just so you know, we actually ask users to wait 24 hours without a response before they bump a post.

Have you been backing up with condoms at all when you're having sex?
Hearth6
not a newbie

Unread post by Hearth6 »

No I haven't because the pill is very effective. Can someone help me regarding my post?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English

Unread post by Karyn »

Vomiting five hours after taking a pill would not compromise your protection, as the pill would have been absorbed by then: it is only a concern if you throw up within a couple of hours after taking a pill. If you and your partner have tested negative for STIs, then you can assume that this is just some spotting as a side effect of the pill. As I have explained to you before, people react differently to different brands of pill, so even if you did not have spotting on your last pill that doesn't mean you won't have spotting on this one.

If you don't feel comfortable using the pill by itself, then backing up with condoms is always an option (and it is the only option that also protects against STIs, so we recommend doing so for that reason).
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic