Birth Control Pill...Pregnancy?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Tinasha
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight, female

Birth Control Pill...Pregnancy?

Unread post by Tinasha »

Hi, I have a few questions on birth control pills, pregnancy and sex.

1.) What is the time frame for taking regular birth control pills? I usually take them between 10pm to 1am and I'm scared that might drastically affect protection.

2.) Would you still have the "fake" period if you get pregnant on the pill? I have been searching and found that some women experienced regular periods while on the pill and was pregnant.

3.) What is considered 'unprotected sex'? I have read a statistic on couples who have unprotected sex and about 80% become pregnant within a year. Would a woman on birth control be considered unprotected sex because they're not using a condom?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control Pill...Pregnancy?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Tinasha,

With the pills, you have a 12 hour grace period before one is even considered late, so a few hours difference would not harm the effectiveness. And no, if you were pregnant, you would not get your withdrawl bleed.

As far as unprotected sex, generally speaking that's sex where no method of contraception is used (although in terms of being protected from STIs, unprotected sex would be where there is no barrier method, like a condom, used).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic