"He was checking you out."

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
GingerPhoenix
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm not quite sure at the moment
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

"He was checking you out."

Unread post by GingerPhoenix »

I went out the eat with my grandparents the other day and as we were leaving my grandma leaned over to me and said, "He's giving you the eye." Referring to a guy working there. I was totally confused and said what and she repeated her self and I said what again and she said that he was checking me out.

I have a heart monitor on right now that clips to my shirt straps and has a bunch of wires so maybe he was looking at that but I have no idea what to think if he was "checking me out".

Mostly I'm just confused because personally I think I'm hideous and the wall would have been hotter to look at. No one ever tells me I look nice and generally I'm a nobody. I'm so confused. Maybe he was looking at my ugly?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: "He was checking you out."

Unread post by Heather »

We just can't know what this person was doing.

However, who people are attracted to is very diverse, and someone's own sense of their attractiveness doesn't always - and often won't - line up with how other people see them.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Sunshine
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a quote for every situation
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Sunshine »

I don't know what you look like, GingerPhoenix, but I doubt you are ugly. I believe you when you say you feel ugly (or hideous), because I have felt the same, often. But "ugly" doesn't really mean anything. It's totally subjective. One person's ugly is the next ones cute and a third's interesting and a fourth's pretty.

Like Heather said, there is no knowing what the guy noticed about you - or whether he noticed you at all. In my experience, "he's checking you out" is something adults, especially family members and particularly grandparents are very likely to say when they think you have low self-esteem and want to cheer you up. It's kindly meant, but it can be really confusing and unsettling.
K1tty
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Everything

Unread post by K1tty »

don't take it to heart. He could've been staring to just stare. People do that. Doesn't mean they like you. Chin up, you may feel ugly to yourself, but that doesn't mean you are to everyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic