Question about Gardasil

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Question about Gardasil

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

I am a 22 year old female who has not yet had sexual intercourse, but likely to within the next year. A few years ago (I was about 17) I received Gardasil, as both of my parents thought it was a good idea for my younger sister and I to get because it greatly reduces the risk of cancer, which we all thought was a great idea. I did the 3 doses on time successfully (had no serious reaction other than the typical injection site pain, which i get anytime I have an injection or blood work anyways). I am very glad I did it, and am surprised more people do not have their kids do this younger, because I knew many people who could have benefited from it but couldnt after it came out because they were too old or were already sexually active. Anyways, I recently heard about a new version of Gardasil called Gardasil 9, which can prevent up to 90% of cancers caused by the HPV virus in addition to genital warts. I was wondering a few things about this:
-Would it be safe to get Gardasil 9, having already received the old gardasil?
-Are there any circumstances where it would be beneficial for me or someone like me to get this additional vaccination?
-How do I figure out the cost and if it's covered by my insurance (I currently have caresource, a public insurance program funded by the state i live in)?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Question about Gardasil

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Princesslulu,

I think the best person to direct these questions to would be your healthcare provider, as they'd be able to tell you whether getting the new vaccine on top of the old one was even possible, and what your specific options would be for paying for it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic