Periods, cycles, and mom

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Periods, cycles, and mom

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Han,
It's been exactly one week today that I was supposed to get my period, or the fifth week without having a period. ... My mother is also aware of my late period and is suspectful that I could have engaged in actual sex, which is not true. I'm wondering when or if I should alert someone of my missed/late period.
So, with periods, there are plenty of reasons why they could be late. You can read about those here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

More than that, it's not unusual for periods to arrive a little earlier or a little later than you're expecting (that irregularity is more common if you've only been menstruating for a few years). Our bodies are not machines, and so they experience fluctuation. If your curious about how to track your cycle, we have an article about how to do that here: Get With the Flow: All About FAM

You also mentioned your mom is suspicious when you don't get your period. Do you feel comfortable talking to her about things like periods and sex?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Periods, cycles, and mom

Unread post by Redskies »

Also, the general guidance is to check in with a healthcare professional if three periods in a row are missed - that's four whole months without a period! So, one period being late or completely missed isn't a medical concern.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic