when is a period classed as late?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Daisydoodle

when is a period classed as late?

Unread post by Daisydoodle »

Hiya!
Ive recently started to properly calculate my cycle length and I've got an app which tells me how long my cycle is - its usually 35 days. However this month i was noticing my 'egg white' stretchy fluid was around later than on my calendar. My period is due but hasn't come. I was just wondering when you would you know when your period is actually late? 1 day or a week after?
I always get very anxious my period is not going going to turn up even though i am very carefully when participating in risks which could cause pregnancy.
Another question for future reference ... what discharge can you expect right before your period? that would help so i can be prepared!!!
p.s how can you tell when you've finished ovulating? Can you get pregnant after ovulation?
:D thank you for the help
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: when is a period classed as late?

Unread post by Heather »

Medically speaking, when a period has not arrived five or more days later than the very latest it is expected, that's a late period. One day is never going to be late, because even the most regular menstrual cycles have between a 2 and 3 day standard deviation.

So, for example, if your cycles are usually around 35 days long, and you go ahead and go with that 2 day standard deviation, then if a period didn't show up by day 42, you'd be looking at a late period.

Here are a couple links that can fill you in with the questions you're asking about menstrual and fertility cycles, like typical discharges before periods and how someone can know when ovulation has passed:
On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
Get With the Flow: All About FAM
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic