Implant question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
bgrace20
not a newbie

Implant question

Unread post by bgrace20 »

Hi there,

I am seriously considering getting the implant inserted but was wondering when the best time would be.
I'm currently taking birth control pills and was wondering if I should wait to get it inserted during my placebo week or if I can go ahead and get it inserted in the middle of my pill pack and just stop taking the pills?

Can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere.

Thanks so much!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Implant question

Unread post by Mo »

If you are now taking the combined pill, here's the recommendation (taken from both Implanon & Nexplanon's websites; they are the same for either implant):
"The implant should preferably be inserted on the day after the last active tablet of the previous combined oral
contraceptive or on the day of the removal of the vaginal ring or transdermal patch. At the latest, it should be
inserted on the day following the usual tablet-free, ring-free, patch-free or placebo tablet interval of the previous combined
hormonal contraceptive.
If inserted as recommended, back-up contraception is not necessary. If deviating from the recommended timing of
insertion, the woman should be advised to use a barrier method until 7 days after insertion. If intercourse has already
occurred, pregnancy should be excluded."

Your doctor will likely go over the timing with you when you meet to discuss getting the implant, but that's the manufacturer's suggestion. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic