Daylight Savings and Missed Period

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
daisygirl10
not a newbie

Daylight Savings and Missed Period

Unread post by daisygirl10 »

Hey guys,
I've been on the pill for about 8 months and take my pill at 9pm everyday. When Daylight Savings rolled around I continued to take my pill at 9pm, knowing the hour change would not compromise the effectiveness. With that being said, I had unprotected intercourse once in the cycle, and the rest were with condoms. I am now on my inactive pill week and still have not gotten my period. I have not missed any pills, but am curious why this month I have not bled. Last month I had a really heavy period, but this month there has been nothing. Is this normal, or did the hour change mess something up? I am not very concerned, but I am more confused.

Thank you!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Daylight Savings and Missed Period

Unread post by Redskies »

It IS normal to have occasional fluctuations, bleeds being a bit lighter, heavier, earlier, or later than usual, or even not show up at all, yep :)

We can't know if this particular variation is connected to the hour shift or not. Most people won't experience any difference because it's a pretty small change for the combined pill (and it makes no difference to the effectiveness). Even for the few people who might experience a difference, it doesn't really mess anything up, it's just a small cycle variation like the variations that happen sometimes anyway.

Sometimes bodies just don't do exactly what we were expecting. There's nothing to do about that, really, apart from shrugging our shoulders and being "huh? Body? Well, okay then, do your thing." :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
daisygirl10
not a newbie

That's much more comforting to know, although it is still frustrating! I know it is very unlikely to become pregnant if you take the pill everyday at roughly the same time (which I do). So hearing this makes me feel better! Do you think I should be concerned, or just realize my body is going to do funky things and I just have to learn to go with the flow. Thank you so much!
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi daisygirl10,

Realizing your body does funky things and just going with the flow is a great option :)
daisygirl10
not a newbie

not to mention that the week I am suppose to get my period, I traveled all the way from the east coast of the United States to the west coast!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Also, be sure and read your patient instructions that come with your pill, just like you'd read the information (hopefully) for any other medication.

You can know that when it doesn't say something (as it won't for OCPs) like: you must take this medication at the exact same time every day, or within an hour or two of the same time every day, it's because you don't have to for it to be effective. It is in the interest of the manufacturers of medications to give the right directions to patients, so when something isn't in there, it's because it doesn't matter. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
daisygirl10
not a newbie

My packet says to take the pills at about the same time everyday, so would you say that the hour difference due to daylight savings is a major factor for my pill taking?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

That's already been answered for you in this thread.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic