STI testing for two first-timers?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Mel19
Awesomeness Quotient: Girl in engineering
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual/straight

STI testing for two first-timers?

Unread post by Mel19 »

Hi!
My boyfriend and I are both in our first relationship and both of us can be considered virgins. I know on Scarleteen you often recommend having STI testing, then practicing six months of exclusivity, and being tested again. Does this process still hold if neither of us has been intimate with anybody else? Should we still both be tested at least once? I am planning on starting the pill soon and we will probably also use condoms.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: STI testing for two first-timers?

Unread post by Heather »

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "can be considered virgins." Definitions of virginity are all over the map, so that's just not a very meaningful term.

If either one of you has had any kind of sexual (read: genital) contact with someone else, then STI testing is something it's suggested one or both of you go ahead and start doing. And by all means, if one or both of you wants to do what best prevents STIs and other infections, then safer sex is a must, rather than a maybe. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic