how does the pill work between the placebo week and a new pack

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
etudexc
not a newbie

how does the pill work between the placebo week and a new pack

Unread post by etudexc »

Hi,
I've pretty much researched all that I can find on the pill's effectiveness and how it works, but I'm still a bit confused about the placebo week/bleeding and the transition to a new pack. I always start my "period" on friday and end on monday. I start a new pack on tuesday. I know I should be protected during the placebo week, but I was wondering how I am protected and if there is a heightened chance of pregnancy on the day of the new pack? Does one pack of combination pills protect you for exactly 28 days? What happens if I start a new pack at a different time?

The thing is I had sex on monday without condoms, and then again on tuesday an hour after taking the pill (also without condoms). My boyfriend did not ejaculate inside me both times, but is there a higher risk of pregnancy because of the timing? I also decided to start this new pack 30 minutes before the usual time I take it. Will this compromise the effectiveness?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sam W
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: how does the pill work between the placebo week and a new pack

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi etudexc,

As long as you're taking the pills correctly on consistently, you should have full protection even during the placebo period (and no, starting 30 minutes later than normal will not damage the effectiveness). For a more detailed answer about the placebo and protection, check out this article: How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic