Is this weird? Period question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
littlemissp
not a newbie
Primary language: Portuguese

Is this weird? Period question

Unread post by littlemissp »

Hi guys! I know it's normal to feel more sensitive in the week before we have our periods but what I've noticed is that sex actually hurts a little. Is this normal? It's nothing that I can't endure but it's not normal either because it doesn't hurt during normal weeks. I'm on birth control so I know when the period is coming and it's always in the week before that this happens...is it normal?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Is this weird? Period question

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi littlemissp!

As with many 'is this normal' questions... thankfully there is no 'normal'. People's bodies react differently over the course of their menstrual cycle which means their sensitivity can change, their level of self-lubrication can change and all of this is ok.

More on painful intercourse: From OW! to WOW! Demystifying Painful Intercourse

If self-lubrication is your issue, then you have the option of trying trusty bought lube. At the same time, it may be that during these times, the way you're having sex can be adjusted to meet the level of sensitivity you're feeling. Have you spoken to your partner about it?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
littlemissp
not a newbie
Primary language: Portuguese

Unread post by littlemissp »

Yes, we spoke about it and we decided it's best to not have sex during that week until I figure out why it happens. We've tried changing the position and with lube it gets better but still feels a bit uncomfortable. I think it's just how my body reacts...I don't know...
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

I think it's just how my body reacts...
It sounds that way here too. I'm sorry to hear you're not seeing any other option. But it is good you guys have reached that conclusion rather than continue with uncomfortable painful sex. With time this might change or you might find something which does work for you and I'd say you are on the best path to getting there.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic