What does the pill do ??

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sundropz
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

What does the pill do ??

Unread post by Sundropz »

My period is very irregular. I get it typically every 12 days. They are really heavy and I'm feeling exhausted all the time. My friend told me I should go on the pill to relive the symptoms but I don't actually know what the pill does. I'm 16
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What does the pill do ??

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Sundropz,

That sounds like no fun at all. If your period is really coming that frequently, it might be time to talk to a doctor anyway to see if there might be an underlying cause.

As for the pill, let's start you off with these two articles to explain how it works: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
b]Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)[/b]
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: What does the pill do ??

Unread post by Heather »

Just FYI, a healthcare provider is the right person to figure out what treatment for this - if any - is best. You don't need to figure that out for yourself, and you and your friends won't be able to, anyway, since someone educated and qualified in this area of healthcare has to be involved to first even figure out what's going on, and then make appropriate treatment/management suggestions.

It may be something where they may suggest the pill or another hormonal method of contraception, but it may be something where that's not the right way to go. But they are the right person to figure this out with you. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic