Took emergency contraceptives but second period is late?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
utterlyweird

Took emergency contraceptives but second period is late?

Unread post by utterlyweird »

I took emcon 1 (an emergency contraceptive) 10 hours after a little accident I had with precum - to be on the safe side - about a month ago. My period then was due actually around the time I took the pill and it came the day after I took the pill, as per my usual cycle. It was a pretty normal period minus the cramps (I had these weird cramp feelings but it wasn't painful).

It's been a little over a month now and my second period has yet to arrive - I'm about 4 days late. During mid August I had these pre-period symptoms that I typically have (swollen breasts, some break outs, feeling bloated) but these came and disappeared entirely. It doesn't feel like I'm going to get my period any time soon and it's freaking me out a little.

I took a few home pregnancy tests - all negative (once a few days before my period was supposed to be due, once the day it was supposed to be due and once today). It seems unlikely that I'm pregnant.

Was wondering if anyone else had experiences with the morning after pill messing up their period cycle? I'm nervous because I'm about to fly out for a semester abroad - making it more difficult to access medical services if anything does end up happening.

Honestly at this point, any insight to ease my mind would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance (:
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Took emergency contraceptives but second period is late?

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi utterlyweird,

Having had a period immediately after you had sex and with the multiple pregnancy tests a month later. You can assume that a late or missing period doesn't mean pregnancy for you. Emergency Contraception can have a big effect on your next couple of cycles so it sounds like that's happening.

Let us know how you get on!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
utterlyweird

Unread post by utterlyweird »

Thanks for the reply Jacob.

Was wondering if you had any knowledge on how long my period could be delayed? Or at least some kind of time frame where if I still don't get it I should seek help?

I feel like I've been getting these mild cramp feelings these two days but they aren't strong and consistent enough for me to feel like they're the ones I get when my period is about to come.

I'll keep taking hpts every week or so just to check until shark week arrives!
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Unfortunately there's not way to predict that, but I'm sure things will return to normal for you eventually.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic