Late Period Worries

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Late Period Worries

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Laladede

You mention your period being a day late. It's actually pretty normal for periods to arrive a few days later or earlier than expected. If you want more information on that, check out this article: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
Laladede
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Female

Re: Late Period Worries

Unread post by Laladede »

I apologize for my previous post, I just wasn't sure where to turn to. I'm sure I shouldn't have any real worry, and perhaps if I had some sort of sign my period was coming I wouldnt. But I haven't had any breast tenderness nor any cramps or spotting. I'd figure by now there would be some sign. How far after a period is expected would a period be considered late? And would there be a need to take a hpt or is waiting it out better?

Thank you so much.
Laladede
not a newbie

My period still hasn't shown up. Its starting to feel like I'm going to miss this whole month. I've never missed my period before, and I've had it for around 14 years so I'm pretty regular. I broke down and took an hpt. It came back negative. I was slightly relived until I started wondering if it was a false negative, that maybe I took it too soon or something. Though I took it on day 33 of my cycle ( when I normally have my period between day 29 to 32). Though it was 15 days after the incident..

If I've never missed a period before and am almost always regular (cycle being 29 to 32 days), why would my period not come at all?

Thanks
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

If you followed the directions on the test, you can trust the result.

A period isn't considered late until it's at least 5 days later than the latest you would expect it. So if you normally have cycles between 29 and 32 days long, then your period wouldn't really be considered late until it's been 37 days since your last one. There are a bunch of reasons that periods don't show up when you expect, or for periods to just be missed every once in a while. This piece explains the reasons why periods can be late: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Laladede
not a newbie

Thank you so much for responding!

I used a non brand test (equate) and it said that I could test up to 4 days before my expected period. Since I tested a day after I expected my period, is that accurate? I know you mentioned I wouldn't be considered late until day 37 of my cycle (with today being day 35), so would I need to wait until after 37 days before I test again or would the first test be accurate and I wouldn't need to retest. I honestly don't want to retest..I get so much anxiety from having to take one.. I just want to be sure that the first one I took was correct enough to not need a second one.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

You followed the instructions: you can trust that the result was accurate. If you do want to test again - and I wouldn't say there's a need to, but it's up to you - you can do that whenever you like, again just as long as you follow the directions for the specific test that you got.

For help with anxiety, if that's something you'd like, this is a good place to start.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Laladede
not a newbie

Well today is day 38 of my cycle. I took another pregnancy test on the 36, which was negative. I was a little relieved and I started getting some cramps so I thought my period may be on its way. However, its still not here. No spotting or anything. I broke down and told my mom..she's upset with me thinking that I am pregnant, which isn't helping me at all.. 2 negative tests should rule out pregnancy even though my period still hasn't come, right?

Thank you
Laladede
not a newbie

I'm not sure if there are other people like me who read previous people's boards, but I figured I would update on my situation. My period finally came yesterday, a whole 42 days lol. Its never been that late but it finally came so I can't complain. I just wanted to thank you guys that work for scarleteen. This is a great website that's very informative and you guys are very helpful, despite dumb people like me posting about pregnancy scares lol.

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic