Antibiotics and the combined pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Frankiesam
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Antibiotics and the combined pill

Unread post by Frankiesam »

I'm on the combined pill (munalea). I've just ran two pill packs together and should be having my 7 day break starting today (Friday)

However, for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I was on a 3 day course of antibiotics (zithromax) for a throat infection.

I've been getting conflicting accounts about whether I'm currently protected or not.

Some people say these antibiotics don't effect my pill altogether, and some say it would only effect my pill during my first 3 weeks of taking it (therefore given I've taken them for 6 weeks now I'm fine).

However, other places say I'm not protected for the 3 days I was on the antibiotics and for another 7 days after, which is what I originally also believed.

Am I now / when will I be protected if

A) I take the 7 day break now as I originally intended?
B) I skip the break and run a third pack together.

I can't find this information anywhere, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: Antibiotics and the combined pill

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to the boards.

There's certainly a lot of mixed information out there about antibiotics and hormonal contraception - especially if you're asking any people who aren't doctors or pharmacists! - so let's see if we can get this cleared up :)

Did you already ask the doctor who prescribed you the medication, or a pharmacist? Whatever they advised is the advice to listen to and go with.

Current research indicates that there's no interference from almost all antibiotics (apart from antibiotics used to treat TB) on the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill. There's still a small space for a question mark that there might be an interaction, rarely ( Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control). So, if it's important to you that you don't become pregnant, we'd suggest using a back-up method (or, not having those kinds of sex) while you're taking your antibiotics, and for 7 days of active pills afterwards, just so you can be extra-sure and have peace of mind. You're going almost immediately into your break week, so the best advice for you is to use a back-up method through your break week and for the first 7 days of your new pack.

There's no need to change your planned pill schedule.

For questions like this, where you're asking about possible interactions between medications, you can always ask a pharmacist. This is where a pharmacist's expertise is, and they're best informed to give you this kind of information.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic