Forgetting pills

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Forgetting pills

Unread post by Redskies »

Hi Nenee,

in your other post you said that you forget to take your pills a lot and end up taking them irregularly.

If you're forgetting by more than 12 hours, you're not going to have the same level of contraceptive protection from your pill that you should, so you'll have a higher risk of pregnany than you would if you were taking them properly. The pill is a very effective method of contraception, but only when it's taken correctly. So, if you don't want to become pregnant, we'd strongly recommend:
- changing your pill-taking so that you can take them properly
- using a second method, like condoms, every time you have sex, so that you have the protection you need from the condom instead
- or, if having to remember to take a pill every day is hard for you, swapping from the pill to a different main method. There are lots of different contraceptive methods to choose from, and many of the others might suit you better because they don't involve remembering something every day! To see what other methods there are, how they work, and whether they might suit you, check out Birth Control Bingo!

Too, if you're having intercourse without a condom, you'll want to make sure that you're up-to-date with your sexual healthcare, including STI testing. Do you need any information or help with that?

Would you like to talk with us about things you can do to help you remember your pill? Do you need any information about condoms and how to use them? Or, would you like to talk with us about choosing a different method, and how to get it?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.