Condoms and safety while being sexy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Condoms and safety while being sexy

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Hello! I have a question on how safe it is to put on a condom on my boyfriend with my mouth, and giving him oral sex a few minutes before starting intercourse, all these with the condom already on. He's reportedly having some sensitivity issues wearing condoms and I want to spice up the application. I have to admit that I already tried the stuff mentioned but I was worried I could damage the condom with my teeth (I did my best to wrap just my lips around it), in fact I'm still overthinking about it, though it appeared intact once we finished "doing the deed" (and he came), so I guess it's all good right? I want to know how safe this is so I know to do it again in the future or try something safer. Thanks!
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Condoms and safety while being sexy

Unread post by Danny S. »

Hi Kim,
Using a condom when giving a blowjob helps prevent STD and STI transmission, so it sounds like a win-win to me. It's pretty unlikely that you'll damage the condom while giving a blowjob, but it sounds like this is causing you some stress. If that's the case, do you think it might be better to stick to putting on the condom with your hands or allowing your partner to put on the condom?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

One other note about putting a condom on with one's mouth is that an important part of condom application is pinching the tip to leave an extra bit of space there; that's going to be pretty hard to do if you aren't using your hands. There's more info (& a diagram) here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual
Also, on the note of sensitivity, putting a drop or two of a good water-based lubricant inside the condom, before rolling it on, can make it feel a lot better for your partner. So that could be something to try if you haven't already.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

And just to pitch in once more, one thing some people to to add pleasure to putting a condom on is just to do it while stroking the penis, so it just feels like stroking. You could do that yourself, or you could ask your partner to do it, and watch him touch himself, which some people find arousing (both watching and being watched).

Per the sensitivity issues, is he, or are you, being sure to put a couple drops of lube inside the condom before putting it on? If not, that can make a big difference.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Kim_2704
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish/English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by Kim_2704 »

Thank you for the replies! I actually have that "pinch the tip" rule quite clear because I know how crucial it is to prevent breakage, so I am sure to do it always c: (I pretty much just place it on the tip with my mouth and then pinch the tip as I unroll it with my hands). We do use lube but not on the inside of the condom, so we have to try that! As per causing damage to the condom with my teeth while giving a very short blowjob before intercourse, if it happened, it would have caused a full on noticeable breakage, that's I what I can infer from reading how condoms fail, is that correct?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Any small tear or break in a condom will enlarge due to friction during intercourse, so yep - if it happened it would be something you'd be able to notice pretty easily.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic