STD confusion

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
catalina14
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Great friend
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: its whatever

STD confusion

Unread post by catalina14 »

I've found it pretty difficult to get the answers I want from researching, so I'm coming here for direct answers to my questions. Last week, I had unprotected sex with a guy I've been seeing. The last time he got tested was a year ago and he is very sexually active, with other girls as well. I know I'm actually at risk, and I'm visiting planned parenthood soon, but I do still have some things I'd like clarified. So here goes:

1. In order to contract an STD/STI, does he actually have to ejaculate inside of me? During the intercourse, we had only been going for about 5-10 minutes and he wasn't close to orgasm, so it wasn't the "withdrawal method" per say.
2. Are there any ways to test orally?
3. How often should you get tested?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Sexual identity: queer

Re: STD confusion

Unread post by Karyn »

STIs can be transmitted without ejaculation, absolutely. Some STIs, like herpes and HPV for example, are transmitted through skin to skin contact, not fluids. You can read up on what activities pose a risk of what STIs right here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Different STIs are tested for in different ways. A test for chlamydia or gonorrhoea will usually be either a urine test or a swab of the vagina, unless you're specifically being tested for those infections in your mouth or throat (which is possible), but HIV tests require a blood sample and herpes is diagnosed through a visual examination. There's more information on what a full screening involves, and how often you should get tested, in this piece: Testing, Testing...
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Casey
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make pretty websites and apps
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Casey »

Also, even if he doesn't ejaculate, there is still fluid transfer if a condom isn't used.
Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper
catalina14
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Great friend
Sexual identity: its whatever

Unread post by catalina14 »

Just an update I got tested and I'm all clean! Thank you for your help!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It's great that your tests came back negative! As a side note - we do encourage people not to use the word "clean" to describe testing negative for STIs, since folks who do have them aren't dirty, you know? :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic