Sensitive/Irritated Clit

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
mcguiree1495
not a newbie

Sensitive/Irritated Clit

Unread post by mcguiree1495 »

Today, I've been feeling irritated when wiping after going to the bathroom (going front to back once). I've been to Planned Parenthood where I've been diagnosed twice (4 months apart) with Bacterial Vaginosis. I was given Metronidazole (14 tabs for 7 day treatment) both times. The most recent diagnosis was 3 weeks ago but now I feel irritated/sensitive on my clitoris. I have not had sex since Sunday morning (today's Thursday).... I make sure to wash every time I shower (once or twice a day) I use Summer's Eve wash. I also have personal/feminine wipes to use when I go to the bathroom when I feel uncomfortable after.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Sensitive/Irritated Clit

Unread post by Heather »

It sounds to me like one of the reasons you may keep getting BV may be all the commercial products you are using.

Have you tried ditching all that stuff, and just sticking to washing your vulva with warm water and, if you use soap, a super-mild, unscented castille or other basic soap? How about cutting washing back, too, to only once a day?

Commercial products like you are using and overwashing is linked to BV, not linked to helping with it.

What have your healthcare providers been suggesting, additionally?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
mcguiree1495
not a newbie

I sometimes shower twice a day, but mostly once a day, or sometimes I won't for two days.

They have suggested making sure under garments are clean, sleeping without under garments (shorts or pajama bottoms are optional) they said "so it can 'Breathe'", as well as using mild soap.

I have been meaning to get some soap, what soap would you recommend?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Really, what you want for genital washing is something very basic, without any additives, preservatives or fragrance. Castille soaps - it will say as much on the paper or bottle - are the mildest there are. Just look at the ingredients for something, and steer clear of commercial products that say they are for "feminine" use. Those, ironically, often tend to be the worst offenders per vaginal and vulval health.

I would also be sure you report the itching, as that can mean you may have developed a secondary infection, like a yeast infection. Sometimes BV and yeast do this ultra-crappy thing where they show up in turns.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
mcguiree1495
not a newbie

What are some soaps like that?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Dr. Bronners unscented is one of my personal faves: a little goes a very long way, and you can use it -- and other basic castille soaps like it -- for absolutely everything. You can always find that brand at health food stores, but some big-stores, like Targets, and some grocery stores also carry it.

Going more mainstream, Kirk's Castile is an older brand that is often easy to find in most grocery stores. Burt's Bees soaps, Tom's of Maine and Kiss My Face are also brands that make basic soaps like this that are generally pretty easy to find in the states at many stores.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic