Birth control and checked luggage

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
gatesy08
not a newbie
Pronouns: she, her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Birth control and checked luggage

Unread post by gatesy08 »

I checked my luggage when I was on a plane over 2 weeks ago now. I had my birth control in that suitcase. Now I'm thinking, oh no, is my birth control less effective because it wasn't with me in my carry on but with the checked bag? Please help!
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control and checked luggage

Unread post by al »

Hi there gatesy08,

There should be no problem with your birth control, even if you didn't have it with you in your carry-on bag. There are only a few things that can affect the effectiveness of contraceptives like that, which you can read about here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
gatesy08
not a newbie
Pronouns: she, her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Unread post by gatesy08 »

Ok thanks, Al
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

It might help to know where the usual advice about putting medication in your carry-on and not in your checked baggage comes from: it's so that you can keep something important, that you need, with you. If the airline misplaces your checked baggage - temporarily or not! - you'll still have your medication with you, and not have the often difficult and expensive task of trying to replace it quickly, and not miss out on doses.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic