Spotting

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
gatesy08
not a newbie
Pronouns: she, her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Spotting

Unread post by gatesy08 »

I am in the first week on a new birth control pack and I have been experiencing some light cramping. Today I used my vibrater for a clitoral orgasm and there was some blood on the toilet paper when I used the washroom afyer. Is this normal? I'm really worried.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Spotting

Unread post by Karyn »

Spotting is a common side effect of hormonal birth control. You've said previously that you're up to date with your sexual healthcare, so you can assume this is due to the pill. If it keeps happening though and it bothers you, you can talk to your doctor about switching to a different brand of pill to see if that helps.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
gatesy08
not a newbie

Thank you, Karen. And just to clarify that I've been in the pill 5 Years and never spotted. Is it normal for these side effects to happen whenever?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Yes, side effects can happen at any time, not just when you first start the pill.
gatesy08
not a newbie

And is there any reason why my spotting only seems to occur after an orgasm?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

During orgasm, the muscles in the pelvic floor and sometimes the uterus contract, which can trigger a bit of bleeding. Again, it sounds like your doctor has ruled out other potential causes for your spotting, so there's no need to be concerned. Has your therapist helped you yet with any strategies for dealing with these health worries when they crop up?
gatesy08
not a newbie

The only thing different is that I had the spotting when I skipped my withdrawal week. I did not do that this time so it made me worry. And not quote strategies yet. We are getting to that point though.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

Bodies are unpredictable that way: they don't always do what we expect them to. Spotting can happen for many different reasons, skipping a withdrawal bleed is just one of those possible reasons. Sometimes it just happens and there isn't an obvious cause!

Per strategies for dealing with anxious thoughts when they happen, you can always ask your therapist (if you'd like to!) that you'd like to learn some coping techniques for calming yourself down in anxious moments. Therapy takes time and quite a bit of effort before you start to feel any sort of big difference in your thought patterns, but most therapists are also happy to teach you things like breathing techniques that you can use in the meantime when you're feeling especially anxious.
gatesy08
not a newbie

Thanks karen. Could pregnancy be a cause for this? I've been worried it could be so I've taken a few tests which have all been negative.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic