Upset stomach affect BC pills?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jellowl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm very chill and happy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Upset stomach affect BC pills?

Unread post by Jellowl »

I have a bit of an upset stomach right now. I did have one bout of runny stool last night, but the rest is more loose but still together (this is a little gross, sorry! :? )
Anyway, I've been told that if you have runny stool on BC it can affect the effectivness of the pill. Do you think my symptoms would affect the absorbtion of the pill or would it have to be a constant runny stool situation to make it less effective?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Upset stomach affect BC pills?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jellowl,

If you vomit or have diarrhea (specifically diarrhea, not just stool that is looser than normal) within 2-3 hours of taking your pill, the pill may not have been absorbed. If you're concerned this might have happened, you can consult your pill pack for what to do to make up the pill, and use condoms as a back-up method for the next little while.
And you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic