Health problem or just a cold?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Ioana

Health problem or just a cold?

Unread post by Ioana »

So...last (protected) sexual intercourse was a couple days before my last normal period which started on 13th of October, lasted as it usually lasts (about 6-7 days) and everything was normal. I am using an app/site to keep track of them which also calculates the time of ovulation each month (but I think the actual ovulation is 2 days after the date the app shows, guessing from the pain and discharge). The app said my ovulation should have been on 29th October. Exactly 5 days before that (24th - 25th) I have been out all night with my boyfriend and it was really cold so I caught a nasty cold which lasted a week or two. I have also been considering pregnancy but on that night we did not have sex, only hand sex and after he washed his hands, so I know there isn't a real risk but I still freak out at ideas like sperm living under nails and being helped to "stay wet" by washing hands, but I hope I am just paranoid and it isn't possible.

On 3rd of November I noticed some blood along with white/clear discharge (I am not really sure cause I freaked out that it could be implantation, since the timing also seemed right). Then not much for the next days and no other symtoms of ovulation/menstruation/pregnancy. I think I ocassionally saw little blood. I was thrilled when I saw more a couple days later, on the 8th, but it was still early according to both the app (which said to expect it on 14th) and my experience (as it could actually be around the 17th). I usually have 32-35 days cycles but now it came on the 27th/28th day. I know that wouldn't be a problem, but it also wasn't anything like my usual period - being light, and interrupted, it lasted only 3-4 days, and I didn't need many pads. It also started brownish, then went bright red and at the end brown again. Ever since it ended and until now I noticed discharge, strange smell, going fast through all the stages - sticky - clear - sticky again, and yesterday I also felt pain, like I usually do on ovulation.

Could it be because of the cold, is it caused by an infection maybe because of the hand sex or should I be worried about babies ? The last one really frightens me. :cry: :?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Health problem or just a cold?

Unread post by Johanna »

First of all, as you noticed yourself, apps cannot calculate your ovulation date. Apps do this based on averages, because they do not have the data that they would need to actually make accurate predictions. For that, they would need daily records of your basal temperature and cervical mucus. So, I'd encourage you to disregard your app's opinion about when you ovulate.

So from what you are describing, you have not had sex that can pose a pregnancy risk since before your last period. That lets you rule out a pregnancy, but if you want to be extra sure you can go ahead and take a pregnancy test.

Periods don't always looks the same, so having a period that is a little lighter is not a big deal. And if you're having a bad cold, the stress of that might also be having an effect on your menstrual cycle.

However, if you are having unusual, smelly discharge, you may also have an infection, so it'd a good idea to be seen by a doctor.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Ioana

Unread post by Ioana »

First of all, thank you for replying to my long and maybe confusing message. It's not the first time I come here for answers in my desperate attempts to calm down. You all do a great job and it really calms me down a lot, but not entirely because I realize I have a serious anxiety about sex and pregnancy...

That is what I wanted to take off the list.. And since last sexual intercourse was protected, also used withdrawal (which I know is not as safe as condoms but we still use both for a bonus) and I had a normal period since, I say that was pretty safe. And the other day, when I caught the cold, also not a real pregnancy risk as I have read here on the message boards. But the problem is I am one of these people still concerned that a "miracle baby" might happen.(and mostly because of little evil sperm miraculously living after a hand wash with soap) Practically I know there is no real risk but mentally I ask myself "what if?"

So with all the stress, the cold, and my messed up lifestyle and diet the possibility of an abnormal period is quite big, right? The strange discharge is what makes me think it might be an infection. If it's either one of these things I can deal with them but not a pregnancy so I think I am calming down. Eventually I will wait for the next period and hope this time is recognizable,or take the pregnancy test if it does not come when expected. Thank you again for answering so fast!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

As Joey said, while the fact that you've had a period since the intercourse means you can assume pregnancy did not occur, the way to get rid of that "what if" is to take a test. I think you may also want to give this piece a read for your period questions:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
Ioana

Unread post by Ioana »

Thanks. I've read them and I calmed down mostly. I will wait for my next period then and hope it comes at about the right time
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic