yeast is the worst

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
gsbago987
not a newbie
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

yeast is the worst

Unread post by gsbago987 »

Ok, So Ive stopped worrying about herpes for now since the last posting, but I have a ton of questions about yeast infections since this is my first and I'm trying to stay away from all of the awful scary medical forums that are on the internet. I've tried calling my main doctor but she's pretty hard to get a hold of, and my job makes it hard to take phone calls if she is ever able to call me back. I just don't want to be freaking out about this over the holiday week when it will be really hard to get into see anyone

I feel like the infection has gotten better since Monday (I took one Diflucan Monday and another thursday) but its still there. When I'm up and walking around I don't notice anything, but sitting it feels really uncomfortable and burns still. There isn't any pain or burning if I touch the areas at all, nor when I pee. The area right outside my vagina is pretty red still too (yay for checking constantly!) I'm also pretty sore (like aching sore) in my vagina. My doctor also prescribed a lotion with the Diflucan called Clotrimazole, and I've used it a few times but it seems to just burn more, so I rinse it off. She had also suggested the hydrocortisone cream which also seems to irritate me. I'm eating tons of yogurt, staying away from alcohol and sugars and carbs, and taking probiotics too. Also not using any soap down there (though perhaps constantly checking to see if its better is irritating it as well)

So my questions:
How long will this last? On Monday the PP nurse said it was a "mild" infection, so shouldn't it be better by now? My mom said hers would last for 10 days or so but friends who have taken Diflucan said theres was gone in 3 days.
Could it just be irritation at this point and not yeast since it doesn't always burn, and that I should leave it alone (sans creams) and give it a few days to heal?
Or, do I keep using the creams because the infection might not have gone away?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: yeast is the worst

Unread post by Johanna »

Did your doctor tell you how long to use the treatment? It's important to follow those instructions. If your doctor did not tell you specifically how long to use the treatment, give them a call to double-check. If you've already completed the prescribed treatment but are still feeling itchy, give them a call also and ask if you should come in again. Sometimes it takes more than one round of treatment to take care of an infection.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: yeast is the worst

Unread post by Redskies »

Also, about it burning more when you put the prescribed cream on it: as far as I know, from my own personal and other people's experiences, yeast medication cream often does exactly that. Most typically, it feels more burny and painful for maybe 10-30 minutes after applying the cream, not least because you've just rubbed cream onto a part of your skin which is already sore. Also typically, it might take 2 or 3 days of applying the cream as directed before you start to notice any improvement, either in any visible symptoms or in the pain, soreness or itchiness.

Of course, any time someone feels like they're experiencing a particularly bad or strong reaction to a cream or medication, it's a good idea to check with a doctor because people are occasionally allergic to an ingredient.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic