Cold sores

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
ballerina99
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've been told I'm a great hugger
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Cold sores

Unread post by ballerina99 »

Hello. So both of my parents get cold sores every once in a while, and I am aware that that probably means they both have HSV-1. Does that mean that I probably also have HSV-1? I have never had a cold sore, but I do occasionally have a mildly unusual sensation around my upper lip. However, in my daily life I am quite scared of viruses and illnesses and so I wouldn’t be surprised if this sensation was just in my head. If I’ve never had a cold sore should I not be worried about the virus ? I know that it can be transmitted even if the sites aren’t present, and I don’t want to accidentally transmit something that I didn’t know I had. Thanks so much.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Cold sores

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi ballerina99,

While it's common to contact HSV-1 from family members in early life from things like sharing drinks, if you haven't had a cold sore and your parents can't recall you ever having one, it may be that you haven't contracted HSV-1 (it's tricky to say for certain because it can be asymptomatic). If you want to be cautious, you can simply avoid things like sharing drinks with people and, if you do notice symptoms arising, avoid things like kissing while the symptoms are present.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Also, you can get a blood test from your healthcare provider to find out if you have it. If you want to do that, be sure to tell them you live with family members with it, so they'll know that an antibody test won't work for you (since you're likely to have them no matter what).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ballerina99
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've been told I'm a great hugger
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by ballerina99 »

Okay, thanks !! Should I be cautious about kissing and sharing drinks even if I have no symptoms at the time?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Well, we generally want to be cautious (or at least somewhat selective)about sharing drinks and open-mouthed kissing, because those are ways to potentially pass a whole bunch of stuff to someone, from HSV to a cold to the flu, etc.

It sounds to me like you'd honestly benefit from a conversation with a healthcare provider and a test so you know: is that something you have access to and know how to arrange, or can do with help from your parents?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic