Missing birth control pills

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
ghostwriter13
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/she

Missing birth control pills

Unread post by ghostwriter13 »

Hi, I've been on the birth control pill since December last year and have been fairly consistent. I am currently at my grandma's house and will be staying here for the next 5 nights. Unfortunately I forgot my birth control pills meaning that I won't be able to take the pill for at least 5 days. Fortunately I haven't had sex since starting the new pack so pregnancy is not a concern. However, I am a bit confused as to how to resume taking the pill/start a new pack.

This is my third week- with the first pill I am missing tomorrow being the first pill of the third week. Should I just miss out the 5 pills and continue taking the pills as usual (as in including the placebo pills) or discard the pack and start a new one on the day I get back. I would rather continue my pack than mess up my schedule.

I could also try buying a new pack but would really rather not and am unsure if I can ever get access to a pharmacy.

Thank you all for your help.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Missing birth control pills

Unread post by al »

Hi there ghostwriter13,

In this scenario it's usually recommended to start a new pack, because 5 days without that consistent level of hormones in your body has already disrupted your cycle a bit. It's possible that you may even start a "withdrawal bleed" at the 3rd or 4th day because that lack of hormones is usually what signals to your body that it's time for a period. But once you start a new pack, things will eventually get regular again on a new schedule.

I know you said that you haven't had a pregnancy risk before this- because of this interruption, you'll want to use a backup method such as a condom for sex for the next 2 weeks to ensure that you've built back up that protection against pregnancy risk.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic