Mucus on BC Pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
_LucyP
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterossexual

Mucus on BC Pill

Unread post by _LucyP »

Hi! I've recently started taking the pill and I've read that it would make my mucus thiker, but its watery now... Is it normal?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Mucus on BC Pill

Unread post by Heather »

That's a tricky question to answer, because cervical mucus isn't the same as all vaginal fluids. In other words, the watery discharge you are experiencing doesn't mean you don't have thicker cervical mucus (which often will stick to only hanging around the cervix, anyway).

It's normal to have thinner and thicker fluids or discharges at various times, on or off the pill. Are you up-to-date with your sexual healthcare, including STI tests? Are any sexual partners you have currently also?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
_LucyP
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterossexual

Unread post by _LucyP »

Really? I've always thought that those fluids that come out were the same as the cervical mucus! And yeah! It's all in order, for the both of us, and I always use condoms.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Nope! Cervical mucus (which sometimes isn't so fluid) is only one of the fluids of the vagina. There are also fluids usually produced by arousal, as well as fluids produced by the vagina to keep it clean and healthy.

It's common for people to find their vaginas feel drier after they've been on the pill for a few months, because yep, one way it works is by thickening cervical mucus AND the hormones of the pill can otherwise contribute to dryness. But even then, there's usually still plenty of times when fluids are...well, fluid! :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic