Menstrual cycle doubts.

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hypochondriac17
not a newbie

Menstrual cycle doubts.

Unread post by Hypochondriac17 »

Hi everyone, first of all I would love to thank you on the amazing information you guys provide for teenagers and youth, you do a really great job. I have 2 things to ask-

1) I usually have a 28 day menstrual cycle. My periods are ALWAYS on time. However, my bleeding phase lasts considerably longer, around 7 days. By that, I mean 7 complete days of proper, significant bleeding, not just spotting. I've read that generally people have cycles lasting 3-4 days, and most of my friends and cousin sisters say that their menses have never exceeded 4 days or so.
My question is, is having a longer bleeding phase in a clock-perfect menstrual cycle, a sign of something wrong or abnormal? Is it an effect of something related to the food I eat or my exercise habits or any other lifestyle factor? Do I need to consult a doctor about this?

2) Is it correct that there are only specific days when a sexual encounter can cause pregnancy? I am aware that one can get pregnant at any time and there's no absolute way to tell- using protection is the only way, also, I'm not planning to engage in any umprotected sexual activity; But, supposing that a woman ovulates on day 15-17 of a 28 day menstrual cycle, and engages in sexual intercourse around, say day 24, considering that ovum can survive for only 1-3 days, the possibility of her getting pregnant almost a week after ovulation is extremely low, right?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Menstrual cycle doubts.

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hypochondriac,

As far as periods go, they're going to vary from person to person, even within families. So having one on the longer end of average is likely nothing to be concerned about. However, if you're worried, you can discuss with your healthcare provider the next time you see them.

Yes, there are periods in a persons cycle that are less fertile than others. However, as you said, pregnancy can occur at any point in the cycle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic