Chlamydia testing

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Loveurself123
Pronouns: She/her

Chlamydia testing

Unread post by Loveurself123 »

Hi
I took a single dose of azithromycin a couple of weeks ago because a partner of mine was diagnosed with chlamydia.
Before I took the dose, I did a vaginal swab which later came back negative for chlamydia.
However, I hadn't done a throat swab before I took the azithromycin, and went back to take a throat swab which was taken 8 days after I took the antibiotics.
Would this swab still be able to detect whether my throat had been infected with chlamydia before I took the antibiotics? Or would the azithromycin have cleared the chlamydia in my system and make the swab unable to detect it after 8 days?
I ask because I had oral sex with a different partner before I took the antibiotics so if I ever did have chlamydia in my throat, I would need to inform him.
Hope this is clear, thanks so much
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Chlamydia testing

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Loveurself123,

Was that single dose (which I'm taking to mean one pill, but please correct me if I'm wrong about that) prescribed by a health care provider as a precaution once your partner got the positive test result?

Too, for both the sex you had with the partner who had the diagnosis and the partner with whom you had oral sex, were you using condoms or other barriers?
Loveurself123

Hi

Yes it was prescribed to me as a precaution.

Condoms were used for sex with the partner who was diagnosed but not for oral sex with either partner.

The throab swab came back negative for chlamydia, but i am wondering whether that could be as a result of the single dose I took a week before taking the swab, and if i could in fact have had chlamydia in my throat before taking the dose (and hence passed it on via oral sex to my second partner).

thanks
Loveurself123

Hi

Yes it was prescribed to me as a precaution.

Condoms were used for sex with the partner who was diagnosed but not for oral sex with either partner.

The throab swab came back negative for chlamydia, but i am wondering whether that could be as a result of the single dose I took a week before taking the swab, and if i could in fact have had chlamydia in my throat before taking the dose (and hence passed it on via oral sex to my second partner).

thanks
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Your best bet here, I think, is going to be to inform that second partner. There just isn't a way to know if you had chlamydia in your throat or not, so letting him know is the safest route. Some information I'm finding online suggests that antibiotics can clear the infection in as little as a week, so it is possible that you had a throat infection that has since cleared up; since that possibility exists, informing that partner is a good idea.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic