Should I feel guilty for my choice?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
LanaWinters
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love helping others
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Should I feel guilty for my choice?

Unread post by LanaWinters »

I come from a family who's very conservative and believe in NO sex until marriage.
I am NOT having sex, but on Nov 5th I got my nexplanon inserted because I am in a serious relationship with my boyfriend and i'd like to be responsible.
I'm 21 years old and i'm under my father's health insurance as a dependent.
My parents don't know that I got my nexplanon inserted, let alone they don't know that i've been to an OB/GYN 3 times for a pap smear, nexplanon insertion, and nexplanon follow up.
Everyday I freak out thinking they some how found out!
when i mentioned to my mom that I wanted to get a pap smear done because I had a burning sensation and thought it was a vaginal infection, SHE FREAKED OUT!
she got angry and automatically assumed I was having sex. I was so upset.
I got on birth control behind my parent's back under their health insurance and the anxiety KILLS me that they will find out.
I am planning to call my health insurance to see if there is ANY way my parents can find out besides the Explanation of Benefits.
It's confidential right? I live in California
I'm also going to ask if I can have my Explanation of Benefits sent to me via email or to a different address (my sisters)
My sister is very supportive of my choice to get on birth control.
on a different note, I need your guys' advice..
WHEN I do plan to tell my parents about my birth control, how do i start?
it makes me very nervous and anxious to think about it because i know my parents will freak out
I made this choice because I don't want to fall pregnant when the time comes for me to have sex. I want to be responsible for my sex life. Also my periods are horrible :/
Please help!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Should I feel guilty for my choice?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Lana,

This definitely no something to feel guilty about. You get to make the decisions you feel are best for your body and well-being, and you've chosen to do something that you feel is responsible. However, even if you shouldn't feel guilty, it's pretty normal to end up feeling that way, at least a little bit, when you differ from your parents around matters of sex.

I would direct the questions about confidentiality and who can see what information to your healthcare provider, as they likely understand how and when information appears on things like statements.

Ultimately, you are the best judge of when/how to talk to your parents, because you know them and their likely reactions better than we do. However, going the direct route and outlining your reasons (like you did for us) would be simplest. Something like "I chose to get an implant because, even though I am not sexually active right now, someday I will be and I want to be prepared for that."

I would also give this article I read, as it deals with some similar issues:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/relat ... w_can_i_st
LanaWinters
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love helping others
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by LanaWinters »

Thank you for your support! I feel a bit better. i have not told my parents about it. But I feel like i'm an adult and i'm capable of making my own decisions.
Quick question..
I'm taking the medication Omeprazole (Acid Reflux medication)
will this interfere or make my nexplanon implant less effective?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

The best person to ask about any sort of drug interactions would be the prescribing doctor or your pharmacist; they'll have the most up to date information on interactions. You can just give a call and ask. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic