Blood on the condom- IUD

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Milanista45
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Straight male

Blood on the condom- IUD

Unread post by Milanista45 »

Hey there, thanks for looking at my question.

Tonight I had sex with one of my best friends (who just so happens to be a girl lol), and it was honestly great. I knew she was had an IUD and was STD free, but just to be safe we used a condom anyway. However once I finished and pulled out I felt a wet sticky substance on the exterior of the condom. I feared that the condom must've broken, however this wasn't the case; there was a small-to-moderate amount of blood visible on the condom. (I'm a little freaked out that there may have been some semen on the exterior too, but I'm not sure how this would happen since the condom didn't break... Still it just felt wet.) She said it didn't hurt at all and that she didn't notice anything abnormal during sex. She went to the bathroom to have a look and said the strings were still intact and it didn't seem to have shifted in the slightest. The bleeding also stopped immediately.

In short, I guess my question is does there seem to be a risk of pregnancy here? I know that bleeding with an IUD could occur due to expulsion, however she has had it for over a year now and I've read that expulsion after the first year is extremely rare. I'm also pretty big "down there" and the sex was pretty rough at times, so she assumes that I just made her bleed mildly for these reasons and the IUD wasn't the cause. She swears that she knows for sure the IUD is still in a perfect position but I still might ask her to see her doctor regarding this.

Thanks so much in advance.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Blood on the condom- IUD

Unread post by Heather »

So, genitals are delicate. Maybe you noticed. :P

But "rough" sex usually means people being really aggressive and also not using extra lubricant, and that will often equal some kind of injury, which will also then often result in bleeding. That given, that's the most likely reason for the bleeding, so you know for next time to try and find ways to do things that feel good to you both, but aren't so aggressive that they result in injury.

If she's still concerns about this, then she can follow up with her healthcare provider. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Milanista45
not a newbie

Thanks for the reply.

And yeah, she said that she's never had spotting during sex since she got her IUD over a year ago so it was probably just the vigorous activity that ensued. I know it's hard for you to say but this doesn't sound like any extra pregnancy risk, correct? I talked to her today and she feels fine, no bleeding whatsoever, IUD strings still there... As long as this doesn't seem like an expulsion I will quit worrying completely. I probably shouldn't worry anyway since we used a condom that stayed on and didn't break, but part of me still swears there was somehow semen on the outside of that condom... (Possibly just paranoia from the whole experience but hey, better safe than sorry when it comes to sex.)
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

The fluid on the outside of the condom was most, most likely her vaginal fluids. If someone with a vagina didn't create any fluid before and during entry, that entry would be very painful, probably difficult, and very likely to cause injury.

Expulsion of an established IUD is rare; they're designed to just sit where they are and not be disturbed by sex or other entry. She's really the best expert on her own body, so if she feels like it's fine, it's a really good move to trust her on that.

You both used two effective methods of contraception, and an IUD gives one of the highest levels of protection possible. What do you think might be missing for you to have you still feeling concerned? Do you feel like this kind of sex - or with this person, or in these circumstances - is right for you at the moment?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Milanista45
not a newbie

I honestly think the blood just kinda scared me more than anything. Made me feel like I really messed her IUD up :shock: and made pregnancy a greater possibility. However you and her helped to calm my fears. Thank you so much for your replies. You guys are wonderful!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Well, now you know to go just a wee bit more gently, and to use extra lubricant than you did :)

You're very welcome, and how lovely, thank you!
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic