Condom issue

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sg1994
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Condom issue

Unread post by sg1994 »

Hi, guys! I need your help! So, me and my boyfriend were having sex and the condom slipped off just when he pulled out. I'm on birth control, so pregnancy is not the issue here. However, I do feel more comfortable when both methods work well so I'd like your help. We used the Durex latex free condoms before, with a nominal width of 56mm and it worked just fine. Now, we changed for the Durex extra sensitive ones, with a nominal width of 56mm too but it slipped off. It can't be too big because the previous ones were alright. Besides, a smaller width hurts my boyfriend (we've tried)...I was thinking that maybe it was the lube. Normally we apply a bit of lube inside the condom and a bit outside, but these new condoms are extra lubricated so maybe it was a bit too much, no? It has also crossed my mind that it could've been the sex position that it was different than what we usually do, but it wasn't nothing too abnormal so I don't really know. Oh well, can you help me with this one?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Condom issue

Unread post by Ashleah »

Hi sg1994,

Did your boyfriend hold the base of the condom when he pulled out?
sg1994
not a newbie

Unread post by sg1994 »

Hmm...it was a couple of days ago, I'm not sure but now that I think of it...maybe not. Do you think that was why?
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

That is one of the reasons a condom would slip off! You can find more info here: Condom Basics but before pulling out your boyfriend should hold the condom at the base.

If that doesn't work I suggest trying out different condoms/styles or using less lube on the inside of the condom.
sg1994
not a newbie

Unread post by sg1994 »

Really? Cause it never happened before and I don't think that's quite a habit of his...well, maybe we were just lucky! Thank you so much for your help! If that doesn't work, I'll try using less lube.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi sg1994,

I would actually not worry about having too much lube, as it's generally not holding the condom when pulling out or having one that's too big that causes this issue (lube actually helps prevent condom failure by making it less likely that a condom will break). If you end up looking for new types of condom, this article can be helpful: Your Map to the Condom Aisle . I'll also mention that our one stop safer sex shop offers a sample pack for when "average" condoms are seeming too big, and a pack for exploring what size works best: http://www.scarleteen.com/condom_shop
sg1994
not a newbie

Unread post by sg1994 »

Ah alright Sam! So do you think this happened just because he didn't hold the base of the condom? I already read that article, but like I said previously, this happened for the first time in the one year we've been together. We had never have a condom problem before...
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

By all means, not holding the base makes a condom slipping off much more likely. It's one central part of proper condom use. If it hasn't happened before and he never holds the base, figure y'all just got lucky in the past.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic