Proper use of condom

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Yunlad
not a newbie
Pronouns: She her

Proper use of condom

Unread post by Yunlad »

Hi Scarleteen,
First of all, I would like to say thanks to this website, I learned a lot from here, thank you!
I want to ask about the proper use of condom, bcause I had sex with my partner, but on certain position we realised that the condom tends to slip up, sometimes it can slip up to half of the penis but its still cover up the penis and not entirely off. So when we noticed that, my partner will adjust it again and afterwards it went well and we also make sure that every sex the ejaculation always happen outside, just to be sure as we are preventing the pregnancy. If the condom slip a bit and still cover the head of penis and we adjust it back is it still consider proper use of condom? Or EC pill is needed in this situation? Thank you so much for your reply
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Proper use of condom

Unread post by Heather »

Our pleasure! :)

When we talk about condom slips, we mean that the condom has slipped OFF. It's pretty common for a condom to move around some (though if it does too much, it may be someone needs a different size or style), and that isn't really an issue (not when it comes to pregnancy: it is an issue with some STIs, however). Unless the condom has slipped totally off -- either into the vagina, or otherwise, and then intercourse continued without it -- this isn't an issue or something where it makes sense to think about EC.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Yunlad
not a newbie

Unread post by Yunlad »

I see, thank you Heather for the explanation. So I can assume and assure that what I have done is still consider proper use of condom regardless of the sliding up? And though after sliding up we did some intercourse then adjust back the condom?
Thank you so much for always giving the best advice to me who needed more knowledge in sex education :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Yunlad,

Yep, that's correct! If you want more information on what's proper condom use, this article has lots of details: All the Barriers! All the Time!. And we're so glad you're finding the sex ed you need here!
Yunlad
not a newbie

Unread post by Yunlad »

Thank you Sam :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer