Morning after pill question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Gingerbarbie

Morning after pill question

Unread post by Gingerbarbie »

Dear Scarleteen, I had unprotected sex and took an emergency contraceptive an hour after intercourse. 5 days after taking the pill (day 17 in my menstrual cycle) I started bleeding and had my bleeding for 4 days. Does that mean a new cycle started? Or should I expect my regular period?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Morning after pill question

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello Gingerbarbie, welcome to Scarleteen! :)

One of the side effects of Emergency Contraception is that it makes your cycles weird so it's hard to predict what's how is your cycle going to work. But the good news is that this only last a couple of months.

Here you can have more information about Emergency Contraception: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... traception
Gingerbarbie

Well i'm just confused because im not sure if that counts as the start of a new cycle or not.. Because if not my period is already 2 days late..
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Given that you had bleeding for 4 days, that may have been your period - but there's just no way to know for sure. Sorry, we don't have any kind of magic communication with your body to be able to tell you exactly where it's at, and nor is there any in-the-know formula we can let you in on :) So, your next bleed might come when you originally expected it or it might come in line with that day 17 bleed being the start of a new cycle, or anything in between. Like Edith said, taking EC can make cycles wonky for a while, so it's no cause for concern. Really, the only thing to do is just wait and see what your body does.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Gingerbarbie

Thank you guys so much for replying to fast! I feel a lot better now. :D
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

You're welcome!
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic