Romantic Relationships vs Friendships

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
moonlight
volunteer in training
Awesomeness Quotient: I do improv as often as possible.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Romantic Relationships vs Friendships

Unread post by moonlight »

Hi everyone!

I had a good chat with Heather today about friendship, family and the changing definitions of "romance".

So, I'm looking for a few more perspectives. What, if anything, do you percieve to be the difference between close friendships and romantic relationships?

Have you had any of these in your life? If you've had both I'd be especially interested to hear what made them different and what was similar.
Emma
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My love of travel and exploration!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Don't use any :)

Re: Romantic Relationships vs Friendships

Unread post by Emma »

This is an interesting question, especially since the boundary between a romantic vs platonic relationship seems to be defined by whether or not there is sexual desire involved, which negates the experience of hundreds of people i.e. those who are ace-spectrum/asexual. In my personal experience (not asexual/on the ace spectrum), friendship and romance have been separated by a greater desire for intimacy (not even necessarily sexual intimacy, just more sharing i.e. moving in together, sharing possessions, sharing ideas/wishes) and a greater expectation of being able to ask for and receive what you want from your partner as opposed to a friend, as people typically have fewer partners than they do platonic friends and as such, are able to prioritize them more.

So basically prioritization + intimacy = romance in my worldview.

Anyone else have ideas?
"What happens when people open their hearts? They get better." — Haruki Murakami
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic