Went to a Youth Clinic, but didn't get tested for STIs?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SlightConcern
not a newbie

Went to a Youth Clinic, but didn't get tested for STIs?

Unread post by SlightConcern »

I am a female, 16 years old. Recently my boyfriend gave me unprotected oral sex, which I later had concern over possible STIs. Because of this, I wanted to make sure that neither of us had any STIs(We are each other's very first partners as well as first sexual partners. We have also not engaged in intercourse whatsoever. I am definitely sure that he has never fooled around with anyone else sexually as I have known him for years.). Today we went to a youth clinic together where we planned to get tested for STIs. As we waited, I got called up to go first. The doctor who talked to me was nice, and she asked me questions about when my last period was, how many sexual partners, and what sexual activities I had taken a part of. When I told her that all we did was have unprotected oral sex, and that my boyfriend has been my one and only(and I have been my boyfriend's one and only) she decided that I didn't need STI testing and that the good news is I don't have any possible STIs that she could really test for(other than herpes), seeing as I haven't engaged in intercourse and that I was certain that my boyfriend has never engaged in sexual activities except with me. So I ended up leaving without doing a STI test. My boyfriend did get some blood and urine taken for testing. Should I have demanded for a STI test? Should I be worried that I didn't? Why did my boyfriend need to get tested but I didn't? Should I go back to get tested?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Went to a Youth Clinic, but didn't get tested for STIs?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi slightconcern,

If it's important to you, you can go back and ask to be tested. You can even explain it as "I know you've evaluated my risk as low, but I'd like the test all the same." Of course, you can also extrapolate from your boyfriends results (if everything comes back negative for him, then it's most likely negative for you). The doctor you talked to is correct that your risk for most STIs is very low, but it can be nice to have the test results that confirm that (also, kudos to you for being proactive in your sexual healthcare :) )

Also, if you want any info on how to have safer oral sex, you can find quite a bit on that on the main site.
SlightConcern
not a newbie

Re: Went to a Youth Clinic, but didn't get tested for STIs?

Unread post by SlightConcern »

Thank you so much for replying, Sam! I definitely feel better about it, and I am planning to go back to the Youth Clinic to get myself tested. I think it'd be best if I get tested, just for my sake(and my paranoid mind). From now on I will definitely be a lot safer, as my partner's health is very important to me. I want to make sure that if I do have something, then he can get treated as soon as possible. If I ever have any questions related to sex ed, I will absolutely come running back to ask. I just want to say that this is a great website for teenagers who can't exactly talk to their parents about this sort of stuff(it's awkward and sometimes they make assumptions), but can definitely get some advice from experts which is really great. So, thanks again for the response! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic