Pain and itching after protected sex?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
MarilynMonster
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she and her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Pain and itching after protected sex?

Unread post by MarilynMonster »

Yesterday I had protected sex five times within 3 hours. We used a new condom each time. A few hours later that day, I started to feel sore down there and itchy. On the inside. Then today I still feel sore and very itchy. A few minutes ago I went to the bathroom, it didn't hurt but there was some pink blood when I wiped. Not sure if it's because of me scratching the inside or what. I'm not sure what's wrong. If I had a reaction to the condoms or if my body just wasn't used to that. Before this I've only had sex once in a day and it wasn't quite so hard. I've had sex 4 times before this, so maybe my body's not used to it. I was wondering if I should get some over the counter stuff, and which kind. Thanks for helping!
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: Pain and itching after protected sex?

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Marilyn!

Welcome to scarleteen! This sounds like a classic case of 'get-some-lube'. So don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you. As you suspected the pinkness sounds to melike it would be due to friction.

I'd say that soreness is pretty much standard when having penetrative sex a lot, especially without lubrication.

Water-based or silicone-based lubricants are what you'll want because oil based ones break down condoms.

Hope this is helpful!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Hey! Thanks for replying. I feel better knowing that. Anything I can use to calm the itching down? I know I shouldn't scratch. It's starting to annoy me. Thanks again!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Ultimately, you just are going to have to wait this out. In the meantime, you can try a cool bath (no bubble bath or other bath stuff, which often irritates genitals), making sure you are wearing loose clothing, including undergarments, made of natural fibers, and/or a little aloe vera gel (but only if you have the pure stuff, not the stuff that has added preservatives or silicones) or organic coconut oil (which is safe for genitals and doesn't usually irritate them). You also want to put any genital sex on the backburner, including masturbation, until your genitals feel better.

And if this gets worse instead of better in the next day or so, then it's time to check in with a sexual healthcare provider.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Thanks! I think it's getting better. Now it just itches a lot and only hurts for a little bit if I touch it (like wiping). I'm certainly going to try the cool bath. And no scratching, right?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Yep, no scratching. Hope the bath works!
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Just a quick update, I sadly did scratch some and there was blood when I went to urinate and wiped. Not sure if this is bad or if it's still pkay.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Just stop scratching. Likely, that blood was because you scratched yourself. No scratching! :D
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Yes ma'am! No scratching!
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

So, it's still itchy and and when I urinate there's still some blood. I'm thinking, should I call to make an appointment with my doctor? I bought some 100% cranberry juice and just drank some. Just in case. I don't know how fast it should work but I figure if I'm not better by tomorrow mid-morning I should call the doctor. Good plan?
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Oh, and not sure if this helps, but it doesn't hurt at all. Just itches. And I have clear, liquidy discharge.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It does sound, to me, like it's time to call a healthcare provider, yep. So sorry you're still having troubles!

And cranberry juice often works very well at preventing UTIS -- which may not even be what you're dealing with here -- and far less well at stopping one that has started, alas.
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Any ideas of what I could be dealing with? I doubt it could be an STI since we used condoms the whole time...any thoughts though?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

This is one of those where if the only thing we really have to go with is itchy, it could be just about anything that can irritate the vulva, or cause an imbalance or infection, which honestly, is just about anything!

I know it stinks to not know what the what is when you're not well, but I'm afraid your healthcare provider is going to be the only one with enough information from examining you to give you the answer, or even make some good educated guesses.
MarilynMonster
not a newbie

Yeah it does suck! Gladly I'm happy to say the bleeding's been gone all morning. And the itch is coming and going. Whatever that can mean. At the very least it seems to be doing better. But I still may call the doctor regardless. Thanks for all your help! And sorry for the nasty details.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic