I love this girl but am struggling to get over her
-
Eli_314
- not a newbie
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2026 11:40 am
- Age: 20
- My Awesomeness Quotient: I’m very honest and sincere
- My primary language: American English
- My pronouns: He
- My sexual identity and orientation: Straight
- Location: Minneapolis
I love this girl but am struggling to get over her
Hello -
Any advice on how to emotionally detach from someone you like but you know you can’t be with? I’ve had a massive crush on This girl for 2 years now (we’ve been on the same college club sports team for the last 2 years). She’s in a long term relationship and always has been since I’ve known her. I’ve been through a lot with her emotionally (in my own head, I’ve been really quiet about the situation to other ppl, including her), it’s a long story. I’ve had lots of fantasies of her and have masturbated to her a lot (which I kinda feel bad about but also not really cause it’s just my own thoughts)
But basically I’ve accepted the fact that she can’t be my person. She’s even shown sides of her that make me ponder if we’d even be a good couple. Like, She’s a really fun, kind and respectful person, but she be a little cocky sometimes honestly.
The point is, I know I can’t be with her, I don’t even think we’d be a good match, but I still like her. I think a lot of it’s because I feel such a strong physical attraction towards her. Which I can’t blame myself for because boy, is she beautiful. But like I just can’t detach emotionally from her even though I kinda want to. Every time I look at her I still feel a lot of attraction.
For context, I’ve been single my whole life and still don’t have a partner which is why I’ve been looking into getting sex toys lately which is a work in progress.
Any advice for emotionally letting go of her? I know this site is mainly for sex related questions in relationships but I just wanted some extra advice about this situation since it’s been lingering on me. And yes, I do have a therapist who I see and she’s great, but I always like to have more people’s perspectives!
Any advice on how to emotionally detach from someone you like but you know you can’t be with? I’ve had a massive crush on This girl for 2 years now (we’ve been on the same college club sports team for the last 2 years). She’s in a long term relationship and always has been since I’ve known her. I’ve been through a lot with her emotionally (in my own head, I’ve been really quiet about the situation to other ppl, including her), it’s a long story. I’ve had lots of fantasies of her and have masturbated to her a lot (which I kinda feel bad about but also not really cause it’s just my own thoughts)
But basically I’ve accepted the fact that she can’t be my person. She’s even shown sides of her that make me ponder if we’d even be a good couple. Like, She’s a really fun, kind and respectful person, but she be a little cocky sometimes honestly.
The point is, I know I can’t be with her, I don’t even think we’d be a good match, but I still like her. I think a lot of it’s because I feel such a strong physical attraction towards her. Which I can’t blame myself for because boy, is she beautiful. But like I just can’t detach emotionally from her even though I kinda want to. Every time I look at her I still feel a lot of attraction.
For context, I’ve been single my whole life and still don’t have a partner which is why I’ve been looking into getting sex toys lately which is a work in progress.
Any advice for emotionally letting go of her? I know this site is mainly for sex related questions in relationships but I just wanted some extra advice about this situation since it’s been lingering on me. And yes, I do have a therapist who I see and she’s great, but I always like to have more people’s perspectives!
-
Latha
- scarleteen staff/volunteer
- Posts: 1389
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2021 8:13 am
- Age: 23
- My primary language: English
- My pronouns: they/she/he
- My sexual identity and orientation: Queer
- Location: USA/India
Re: I love this girl but am struggling to get over her
Hi there, Eli! No worries, we can answer questions about relationships and feelings, too.
Often, what helps with emotional detachment is just getting some distance from the person in question. I understand that is probably difficult, since you are on the same sports team, but just to check--can you see any ways to put some distance between the two of you?
If you can't avoid being in the same spaces, you could try to avoid the kinds of warm interactions that deepen connection. Do you think you could be cooperative/generally kind, but focused on interacting with other members of your team when you socialize?
As another question, are you interested in dating right now? Making an effort to meet and appreciate other people in romantic/sexual contexts might show your mind other viable options, and that is something that can mitigate lingering attraction.
Often, what helps with emotional detachment is just getting some distance from the person in question. I understand that is probably difficult, since you are on the same sports team, but just to check--can you see any ways to put some distance between the two of you?
If you can't avoid being in the same spaces, you could try to avoid the kinds of warm interactions that deepen connection. Do you think you could be cooperative/generally kind, but focused on interacting with other members of your team when you socialize?
As another question, are you interested in dating right now? Making an effort to meet and appreciate other people in romantic/sexual contexts might show your mind other viable options, and that is something that can mitigate lingering attraction.
-
- Similar Topics
- Replies
- Views
- Last post