Pill + Condom, late period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
papermateflair
Awesomeness Quotient: Eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Pill + Condom, late period?

Unread post by papermateflair »

I've been on Alesse 28 for just under two years, and have been having sex with my BF for just under one year. We ALWAYS use condoms and I am generally very precise with the timing of taking my birth control pills. My period was due to start this past Friday but it is now Sunday and I haven't had any signs of it at all. I had sore boobs about a week and a half ago for a couple of days; I don't always have those as symptoms of my period, but I do occasionally. The last time we had sex was about a couple of days after my last period finished, about a month ago. I don't think the condom had any holes (we are careful with this) and I was just finishing the white pills in the package. Could I be pregnant? I know stress can affect this but I haven't been stressed about anything lately, and I didn't start to wonder about my period until just the other day. Help please!

PS, sometimes I've felt slightly nauseous in the last week or so, but I'm not sure if that's just me or what. I haven't thrown up (yet).
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Pill + Condom, late period?

Unread post by Heather »

So, one big thing to know is that even for people using the pill, the standard deviation for cycles is 2-3 days. So, someone with a period a couple days later than expected isn't actually late, as that's more common than not. A late period, in a medical framework, one that reflects the frequent shifts in even regular cycles, is a period that is five or more days later than the LATEST a period may be expected. So, if Friday was the first day you expected a period, and we factor in for at least that standard deviation, your period won't be late until next Saturday.

Since you use both your pills and condoms properly, pregnancy is as low a risk as it possibly can be, really, so no, that isn't at all likely.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic