Is it supposed to hurt the first time?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
adip0se
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my blue eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: pansexual

Is it supposed to hurt the first time?

Unread post by adip0se »

So I've been researching a lot of whether sex the first time is supposed to hurt and a lot of people say no, but I've been having sex for 6 months and it has hurt every single time; only for a little bit when I first start. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but if it's not supposed to hurt then why does it? My boyfriend is a little wider than most guys, but is it more than just that?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Is it supposed to hurt the first time?

Unread post by Mo »

While intercourse will, ideally, not be painful (and it's generally a good idea to take a break or do something else when you're noticing pain vs trying to push past it), some people do find it painful whether that's the first time or any other. There are a few things that could help; using more or a different type of lubricant (or any at all, if you aren't already) and making sure you're feeling very relaxed and aroused before you attempt intercourse are two big ones, so that would be a place to start. For more detail, this article may be helpful: From OW! to WOW! Demystifying Painful Intercourse
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic