Period after coming off contraceptive pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hsh123
Pronouns: She

Period after coming off contraceptive pill

Unread post by Hsh123 »

I really need help understanding what’s appending to me just now. Basically I’ve been on the mini pill for four years and had no periods at all. I’ve decided to come off the pill a month ago as I felt the hormones were damaging me and making me feel depressed. So a month after coming off (yesterday) I start what I think is my period, it’s mid-heavy and the blood doesn’t look ‘old’ if that makes sense... however online it says it should be withdrawal bleeding and not a period. But if I never had any withdrawal/breakthrough or period bleeding on the pill then wouldn’t this just be my period?
I’m so confused.. also this is about the same time I’d be getting my period as usual (four year ago before I started the pill) at the end of every month.
Hope this was easy enough to understand haha any answers would be great :D
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Period after coming off contraceptive pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hsh123,

The first period-like thing you get after coming off the pill is still called a withdrawal bleed, and the second one is considered your first "natural" period. That seems to be the case even if you found your periods went away completely while on the pill (in case you're wondering, absent periods are a known side effect of the mini-pill). Does that help clarify things?
Hsh123

Unread post by Hsh123 »

Sam W wrote:Hi Hsh123,

The first period-like thing you get after coming off the pill is still called a withdrawal bleed, and the second one is considered your first "natural" period. That seems to be the case even if you found your periods went away completely while on the pill (in case you're wondering, absent periods are a known side effect of the mini-pill). Does that help clarify things?
Thank you, yes that helps!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! Are you looking into other methods now that you've decided that the minipill isn't a good fit?
Hsh123

Unread post by Hsh123 »

Sam W wrote:You're welcome! Are you looking into other methods now that you've decided that the minipill isn't a good fit?
Yes I have been using condoms religiously. Honestly just want something that isn’t hormonal!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Condoms are a great choice! If you're ever curious about other non-hormonal methods you could add into the mix for added protection, this article has some great information: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... onhormonal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic