Libido cuts out during sex!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
chailover2
not a newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:49 pm
Age: 20
My Awesomeness Quotient: i'm a great dancer!
My primary language: english
My pronouns: she/her
My sexual identity and orientation: heterosexual
Location: new england, usa

Libido cuts out during sex!

Unread post by chailover2 »

Hi!

During sex, I feel like my libido totally cuts out. Like, I'll be having so much enjoyment making out, touching, doing the things leading up to it, but sometimes during oral/penetrative sex, I am no longer horny. I used to push past these feelings, try to work through it, and get horny again because I wanted to still feel present and having fun, but that hasn't been very successful. Worst case, I start to dissociate, and when the sex is over, sometimes I even cry.

I spoke to a therapist who told me that I should try to stop when I feel like I'm not horny or wanting to have sex anymore, and I totally agree that feels like the right thing to do. The problem is, I want to be horny the whole time! I want to get to a place where I can continue having sex and enjoy it. I still haven't experienced someone else giving me an orgasm because I usually get in my head or get bored or lose my libido (etc) before that can even happen. Super frustrating... like disconnection/incongruence between my body and my head/heart.

Any ideas? I also might have ADHD... I've gotten a few opinions from clinicians who say yes, others who say no. I've started Vyvanse and only had sex once while on it. It was not enjoyable because Vyvanse makes my mouth and lower regions very very dry, so buying lube is on the to-do list. Interested to see if with the right lube and Vyvanse, my dopamine will stay regulated/sustained, and this libido problem will be improved. Still, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you :)
chailover2
not a newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:49 pm
Age: 20
My Awesomeness Quotient: i'm a great dancer!
My primary language: english
My pronouns: she/her
My sexual identity and orientation: heterosexual
Location: new england, usa

Re: Libido cuts out during sex!

Unread post by chailover2 »

Something to add --

I also would love advice on how to ask for what I want during casual sex. I feel like I have a hard time identifying what I want, then communicating it to the other person. I feel like casual sex can feel very procedural -- making out, touching, oral sex, penetrative sex, and a lot of times I want to linger on one step much longer than I feel is the "standard." Meaning, a partner will ask if I want to continue to the next "step," I want to know how to communicate that I'd like to stay at this step, or try something different.
KierC
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm
Age: 29
My Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
My primary language: English
My pronouns: She/they
My sexual identity and orientation: Queer
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Libido cuts out during sex!

Unread post by KierC »

Hey chailover,

The therapist you spoke to is right about stopping when you’re no longer feeling it. It’s also important to know that when you stop feeling aroused during sex, that doesn’t have to mean that the sex is “over.” You can also take a break! It’s normal for arousal and desire to ebb and flow and to respond to those changes in the moment, so when you feel like you want to stop, stop, but if/when you feel like you’re in the mood again, you can start again. How would you feel about asking for for a break with a partner, without hiding it or feeling like it’s a problem, and then get back to it when you feel the desire again?

Re: sexual communication — we can totally help with this! To start, I want to send a good resource about sexual communication with examples of what you might say (one of the examples is pretty similar to what you’re saying here): Be A Blabbermouth: The Why’s, What’s, And How’s Of Talking About Sex With A Partner

Be A Blabbermouth: Some Sample Sexual Conversations

Do those articles help a bit? Did they give you any more follow up questions or concerns?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post